Nov 21, 2011

A Thin Model

   Had a good week at the Life Drawing session.  I do miss the professional lighting setup we used to have at Art Center in Pasadena though.  It is definitely much harder to render form in a diffused lighting situation with multiple light sources.  The strong direct light source also casts hard shadows and makes clearly distinguishable shapes.  And your drawings have a greater sense of drama.  But I guess it'll make me a better artist in the long run because I'll have to learn to organize my lights and darks more carefully and to make those decisions about what to emphasize and what to leave out with a more discerning eye.
   Another thing that helped back then was that we often had the model standing in front of a solid colored backdrop rather than looking at the model in front of a distracting smorgasbord of fellow artists, windows and furniture.  But then again I suppose I could be thankful for the opportunity to to rise to the challenge and come up with a creative way to interpret the model's surroundings.  I know, I know, it's all for practice anyway, quit whining, shut up and draw.

No comments: