Apr 29, 2011

Digital Painting Exercises

   These are a bit old, but I still like them.  The first is a painting loosely based off of a great photo I came across of Vladimir Putin.  I wasn't so interested in trying to do a painting of Putin as much as I was in the  dramatic lighting and color.  Plus I wanted to try out some new brushes I created and to try and get closer to a natural, traditional media look with Photoshop CS3.
   The second is a study of one of Scott Burdick's paintings.  This time using ArtRage 2.0 on a Cintiq, I tried to see how close I could get to the look and feel of real oil on canvas.  If you're not familiar with the work of Scott Burdick and his wife, Susan Lyon, it is well worth checking out.

2 comments:

mightymouse said...

WOW! I love your work!!! I would love to get a copy of the brushes you have created! Do you sell a set of digital brushes?

Joel Mandish said...

Thanks MightyMouse. Many of the brushes I use in photoshop were either given to me or downloaded from other artists' sites. Usually I end up altering them so that they work better for my personal tastes. At the moment, my brush preset list is long and very unorganized. One of these days, I'll get them organized. I don't have plans to sell presets. The Burdick study was done in ArtRage rather than Photoshop. ArtRage a great program that is really fun to paint in and is very inexpensive (it was $30).